TOP MODEL-An Interview

September 2011:
'America's Next Top Model' television reality show hosted by Super Model Tyra Banks began in 2003 in the United States. As of 2011 there now exists 44 successful adaptations around the world in a near identical format. One of the Executive Producers of 'Viet Nam's Next Top Model' Ryan Hoang Hubris and my good friend allowed me the opportunity of a candid interview with their first ever winner in 2010, Khieu Thi Huyen Trang.
LIFE-Style ME
  Welcome Miss Trang, tell us about yourself: Age/HeightWeight, Birthplace, Education, Hobbies?
HUYEN TRANG
  Hi! My name is Huyen Trang, I am 20 years old. I'm 5'11" and weigh 120 lbs. I was born in Bac Giang Viet Nam, 60 miles (approx. 100km) from Ha Noi, Viet Nam's capital city. Before pursuing a career as a full time model, I was admitted to Nursing University of Nam Dihn, Viet Nam. My hobbies include spending time with my friends and family, listening to music and travelling.
LIFE-Style ME
  Did you model before 'Viet Nam's Next Top Model' show, or was this your first time?
HUYEN TRANG
  I never did any modeling before Viet Nam's Top Model (VNNTM). However, now I enjoy being a model very much.
LIFE-Style ME
  Do you exercise regularly to stay in shape, what foods does your diet comprise, typical meal?
HUYEN TRANG
  I work out 2-3 hours daily at California Fitness and Yoga Center in Ho Chi Minh City. Of course I have lazy days, but I really have to push myself to stay in shape. It's important for my career. My diet is a strong regimen of protein, including fish, egg whites, vegetables and fruits.
LIFE-Style ME
  How did you feel when you were selected to participate in 'VNNTM' TV  show?
HUYEN TRANG
  It was a life changing experience for me. I had to decide to continue with school or stop and compete in the show. I was often sad, wondering if I made the right decisions. I went through lots of ups and down, but in the end, I believe I made the right choice. The whole experience has been unforgettable.

LIFE-Style ME
  Which of the tasks you were asked to perform by the Host was the most challenging, why?
HUYEN TRANG
  The most difficult challenge for me was the photo shoot with the Python. I was really scared. I screamed throughout the photo shoot. I knew that if I didn't pull myself together to do the photo shoot, I'd be eliminated so I tried not to think about how scary it was. I just focused on getting the shot as soon as I can.
LIFE-Style ME
  It is obvious from the show there exists tension and anxiety among 15 young women confined together with cameras set up 24/7 for months, tell us what that is like?
HUYEN TRANG
  At first it was really uncomfortable; getting to know everyone and all. On top of that we were watched all the time. There are times it was really a big inconvenience, when we share secrets, take a bath, goof around, sing (poorly) or want to be alone. The flip side is whenever we had any arguments or anything funny, the cameraman were right there capturing it all. I kind of miss that now...not! Hehehe
LIFE-Style ME
  Is there a script the contestants follow to make the show interesting to the viewer?
HUYEN TRANG
  This is reality TV. There was no script. We never knew what was going to happen in the next moment. We never knew what we will do, where we will go next, how we will do it; everything was a surprise. As an example, before the sun rose I heard a loud noise, and I was thinking to myself, It's so early, what's going on?" Sure enough, we were awaken to do a challenge. Everyday it was something different!

LIFE-Style ME
  Share a funny story that happened during an actual taping?
HUYEN TRANG
  During one of the shoot it was the cameraman's birthday so the producer got him a cake and we were able to sing him 'Happy Birthday' and when it came around time to eat the cake, instead of eating it, we smeared it all over him! If was so funny! He tried to run and hide, but he could not get away from us. It was so cute.
LIFE-Style ME
  What personal embarrassing moment happened to you?
HUYEN TRANG
  When I first got into the show I was very shy and insecure. I always said the wrong thing. I walked badly. I'm really goofy so everyone stayed away from me and I stayed away from them so they won't further misunderstand me. It was hard at first, but slowly we all got to know each other and became friends despite the competition. I was happier and became more confident. I still do lots of embarrassing thing, but that's great thing about being young.
LIFE-Style ME
  You traveled to many locations while a contestant, what was your favorite city, why?
HUYEN TRANG
  I really liked my trip to Singapore. I really loved it. It was my first time there. It's really a clean, green and beautiful country. I really loved the colors. We had lots of great food. I had a chance to work with another production crew and they were very nice. It was a great experience and I learned a lot.


Huyen Trang, Winner 2010
LIFE-Style ME
  What went through your mind the moment your name was announced as the first ever 'Viet Nam's Next Top Model' winner 2010?
HUYEN TRANG
  I was shock! I screamed and cried. It was rewarding to see that my effort. was recognized. My families and friends helped me a lot. Their encouragement kept me going. I'm working hard to make them proud.
LIFE-Style ME
  What did you win? (money, contract, etc.)
HUYEN TRANG
  Two-year $50,000.00 USD modeling contract with CA StudiosDiamond membership to California Fitness and Yoga Centers, where I work out everyday, a nice Vespa bike, jewelry, make up, etc. It's always great to get gifts.
LIFE-Style ME
  What advice would you give to the 2011 group of 'VNNTM' contestants?
HUYEN TRANG
  Just do your best. Be yourself. Even if you are not the winner, you have already won because you will have discovered yourself. What's better than that?!
LIFE-Style ME
  Now that you are a worldwide celebrity, where do you wish to use your influence for change?
HUYEN TRANG
  I am a very normal small town girl and there's so much more for me to learn. I'm just trying to take everything in, stay grounded. No matter what is said, many little girls are looking up to me and I just want to live an honest life and convey the message of be yourself. We are all special in our own ways and happiness comes from owning that.

LIFE-Style ME
  What new opportunities are available to you as the winner of 'VNNTM'?
HUYEN TRANG
  It's beyond my wildest dreams. I get lots of jobs to appear in shows and magazine covers. I am asked to appear in movies, TV shows, music videos, ad campaigns, and so on and so on. This would not have happened if I were not the winner of Viet Nam's Next Top Model. Besides the work, I get to travel all over the world and my culture and make new friends worldwide. My life is blessed! It's a wonderful life!
LIFE-Style ME
  Share you best memory as a contestant in 'Viet Nam's Next Top Model' experience?
HUYEN TRANG
  It was the last challenge. We had a photo shoot in the ice house. It was minus 10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit). Viet Nam's average daily temperature is 30C, (85F) with nearly 100% humidity. Can you imagine how cold it is for a girl like me? Oh my goodness it was soooooooo cold! Not only that there were lots and lots of people filming me and watching to see how I would react. While it was freezing, I just told myself that it's not cold and I'm going to do well. And can you believe it, I ended up doing very very well. I think that photo shoot helped me win Viet Nam's Next Top Model.

Thank you Miss Trang for your candid interview, we wish you great success!    The new season begins Sunday September 25 and airs every Sunday night for 17 weeks. Follow the girls' progress and try to guess the 2011 winner at Viet Nam's Next Top Model website (click here)